I was reading about Galen Rupp's recent workout, and it got me to thinking, "How good is this kid going to be?" So I did some research to check out what he's done so far and it's absolutely amazing. As I always do, I compiled my research into a Squidoo lens: Galen Rupp: America's Future 10k King?
Here are some quick facts about Galen (much more at the lens):
- He set high school and/or junior records from the 2,000m to the 10,000m
- He won the USA Junior Cross Country Championships in 2005
- He is ranked 7th all-time on the US 10k list (27:33)
- He is America's distance running bridesmaid, having finished 2nd in an astonishing number of championship races
- 2004 Footlocker Cross Country Championships
- 2005 Pac-10 Outdoor 10,000m
- 2005 NCAA Outdoor 10,000m
- 2005 USA Junior Outoor 1,500m
- 2006 Pac-10 Outdoor 10,000m
- 2007 NCAA Outdoor 10,000m
- 2007 USA Outdoor 10,000m
- 2007 Pac-10 Cross Country Championships
- 2007 NCAA Cross Country Championships
- 2008 Olympic Trials 10,000m
Of course, that list isn't completely fair. It leaves out the one or two races he did win. But if I didn't know any better, I'd say he's dangerously close to becoming the American Sileshi Sihine.
There is another thing I've come to believe, however. Galen Rupp will be the first American (and white guy?) to break 27 minutes for 10k. I used to think it would be Dathan Ritzenhein. And Abdi Abdirahman is certainly closer than Rupp at this point. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet Rupp will do it first.
I'd also bet he'll finish 2nd in the race.